About Jenn Angel (aka Soulless Angel)

Thursday, February 19, 2015

Sex or Gender and other Confusions




I have an issue with several words. I understand they are in the dictionary, people use them and it would be hard to break the habit. This will outline some of these things that make no sense to me. I believe that if we correct these, the English language can be simplified. First, I will start with some that I learned in High School while taking American Literature and no one can argue these points as I am right on these. Before anyone can say it, yes, I do catch myself making these mistakes as well. I am not saying I am perfect by writing this.

Note: Images used in this blog are not of my creation, nor do I claim copyright. I am not advertising for any product or company as I try to prove this point.

Billiards vs Pool
Yes, we call it pool. Originally, it was called pocket billiards, in the late 1500's and wasn't called pool until the mid 1800's. Why did someone have the need to confuse this game with another object? For some reason someone made a separation of 2 sets of games played on a billiards table. These became billiard games and pool games. The point is they are both on the same table, with the same balls and were all originally called billiard games. If you tell me that you are going to shoot pool, I am going to assume, you are a murderer. Those poor kids in the pool might get hurt if you shoot it.

Ping Pong vs Table Tennis
This one won't take much typing. I have a screenshot for you.



Kleenex vs Facial Tissue
Another one that I have screenshots for. These should be obvious enough that Kleenex is the brand and facial tissue is the object. If you say "Please, hand me a Kleenex.", you are asking for a company named Kleenex, so no, I won't hand you anything.




Q-Tip vs Cotton Swab
Another one that should serve as obvious just with screenshots.








These ones are not from my American Literature class. These are ones that were thought of throughout time. The above cannot be argued. However, some of you may still doubt me for whatever reason. I have been in many arguments about the above and the below. It was proven that I am right. It took research instead of just going with the flow and not questioning things.


Capri Styled Pants
I can walk into the store, ask where the Capris are and be pointed to the pants department. Yes, people know what I mean when I say Capris. However, let me show you how saying "Capris" instead of Capri Styled Pants is wrong and just the American laziness in all of us.

There is no official definition for the word "Capris" except to say "capri pants". Although, the word Capri has nothing to do with pants.


Capris


noun,

Here you see by looking up "Capri Pants" it describes pants with a certain style. 

Capri Pants
noun

1.
women's casual trousers with a tapered leg that end above the ankle and a vertical slit at the outside bottom edge.
Word Origin and History for Capri pants
1956 (said to have been designed c.1948), from CapriItalian island; so called perhaps because they were first popular in Capri

So the only conclusion is the capri is a style of pants. There is no object called "capri". They are pants. The absolute most proper way to word it is Capri Styled Pants. This can also be said for other things such as the Zoot Styled Suit. There is no object called "zoot", zoot is the style of the suit.



Sex and Gender
Okay, I will get the topic of sex and gender; you waited long enough. You can look in a dictionary and find that sex is defined the same way gender is. I have a problem with this.


  • Sex is a shortened version and slang word for sexual intercourse. This is something we don't want our kids saying, hearing, knowing about or doing.
  • Gender is the separation of sets, most commonly used for male and female. To kill the confusion, we don't say "this is a gender of red blocks". Instead we just say it is a set of red blocks. 


I am of the female gender. That has nothing to do with who I have sex with.


Race, Nationality and Pigment of Skin

Nationality describes what nation you belong to. This can be looked at in two ways: where you are born and where your ancestors were born.

  • My ancestors were born in several countries. I will use my father's side of the ancestry. We call ourselves German because our ancestors that moved to the USA were born in Germany. We found out that we were wrong to say German because farther back the family line our ancestors were from Israel. This would mean that we are actually Israeli by nationality. 
  • I was born in the USA, yet I don't consider this my nationality as many other people would. I say that I have USA citizenship.

Heritage is something that is you inherit such as a throne. It is my heritage to rule a kingdom. So, let's not confuse that word in the mix as some would do by saying "my heritage is German".

The word race should be left to the event where people run, drive cars, ride horses, etc. To say "my race is German" is confusing everything since this is nationality. If we going to say that we belong to a race, we should say Human Race instead. Even saying Human Race is improper, because human is a species of animal, not a race.

Pigment of skin is also a wrong way to define people. Anyone who understands colors will know that what we call white skin, really isn't white. Some have not started calling it beige skin. Even this is wrong. When we look at something and say white, it is actually the opposite of white. I will not go into the whole study of how it works. I will just say that we need to stop defining people by the pigment of their skin and saying white man or black man.





References:
http://dictionary.reference.com/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki
http://www.pingpong.com/
https://www.kleenex.com
http://www.qtips.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment